Sunday, October 2, 2011

Penny and Izzy's visit



My cousin Penny came to visit this past week.  

Ever since we were kids we have been such great friends.  So many of my favorite childhood memories include visits to Bay City or their visits to our house.  I remember in grade school writing letters to each other and always being excited for the mail.  We lived about 5 hours apart, but our dads were good about getting together often.  As we got into high school we were always there for each other (especially to vent about the dramatic things high schoolers gab about).  Then we went off to college together, her a year before me.  She got into BYU and I did not.  She was there to listen to me cry as I thought the world had ended!  I ended up at UVSC (now UVU) and we lived in neighboring apartments.  We have been there for each other through so many of life's obstacles and so many wonderful and exciting things as well.  We lifeguarded and taught swim lessons together.  I was there the night of her proposal... The list goes on and on...
Since getting married we have only gotten together a hand full of times:( Funny how life does that...

This past spring her brother, Craig, (my cousin) passed away at the young age of 26.
I remember the day, the time, the place and what I was wearing after I had received a text from her saying, "Can you call me asap".   After having heard the news, I was at a loss for words and miles away.  

If I had to describe Craig in 2 words they would be smart and thoughtful.
I found this pic of him taken at my wedding and I love it.
(Craig & Suzette)- 
I know it has been a hard year for her but I continue to be amazed by her strength, faith, steadfastness in the gospel and her outlook on life.  Though there is but a year between us, I look up to her so much.
Penny is one of those people after having spent time with her, you walk away knowing you are a better person!  It was such a treat to have her and sweet Izzy here with us this last week!

Some pics from our week:

The girls loved having Izzy here to play with!
We were riding 3 wide in the Accord!  (I told Joey if we ever get brave enough to have a third I'll definitely be wanting that Odyssey I always dream about. (who would have ever thought I'd dream of owning a minivan?!?!)

 The weather was so perfect we played outside a lot
 Izzy was so Cute she wanted to ride the big girl bike
 giving Ansley hugs!
 Love these CUTE girls
 While Avery was at preschool Izzy and Ansley played at the tubes & loved the fish tank
  I had to take Penny to the Rhea Lana sale (the most awesome name brand consignor sale)
too bad she didn't have a suitcase big enough to take this back in, Izzy loved it! It made noises too!
 Had to get a tub shot
 Ring a round the rosies after bath time

 Playing at Peabody Park on the Arkansas River
 On one of the Pedestrian Bridges
 & of course we had to see the Ducks walk the red carpet at the Peabody Hotel
 If Penny and I had not been standing close I'm positive they'd have all dove in with ducks!

 The Wildlife Museum 
 Izzy liked the Bear
 She loved Pickett, sadly I think Ansley has pulled his tail too many times b/c anyone who looks 'young' he now runs from...  I was trying to get him to sit with her.
 More outdoor play
 Wagon Rides
 & blowing bubbles.
Penny and I also had a girls night (thank you honey) and went out to eat Mexican food of course! & then squeezed in some shopping down at the Promenade. (I had never been there--AWESOME)
We came home -talked, laughed, cried, and vowed there are some stories (from our teenage years) our kids will never know about! 

Although by Thursday, Penny and I felt much like referees with the girls- Avery is already asking when Penny and Izzy are going to visit again:)




4 comments:

Hallsville Grebe's said...

Looks like y'all had lots of fun. I am glad you are all close. It's great! I hope you always remain close to each other. :)

Penny said...

Rachel you are too sweet! Your post brought tears to my eyes. I love you so much and miss you already!

Rosanne Boyd said...

Love this!!! Looks like you guys had so much fun! Those three girls are so adorable, I just want to give them lots of hugs and kisses!

Charis said...

Love your blog and your updates. So glad you had such a good visit with your cousin :-) As always your girls are so dang cute and growing far too quickly!