Thursday, February 17, 2011

Going Down in the Books

I've joined a virtual quilting bee started by one of my friends here.  The pinwheel block above is my very first quilting block ever!!!  (I only had to use my seam ripper three times!)  This month is an elephant applique quilt block which I am working on now.  Visit 12squared.blogspot.com to see some of the creative quilt blocks done by some of the ladies in our group!

After telling my sister, Rose, about this she wanted to start another one of our own.  So we put together a group of friends and family who sew/like to sew and so now I'm in two quilting groups and loving every minute of it!  The block for our "Material Girls" quilting group was the churn dash and this is how mine turned out:  To see more of our groups blocks visit www.sewincorporated.blogspot.com
After doing these I got brave and decided I wanted to make an article of clothing.  A friend of mine had this adorable twirl skirt pattern she got from etsy, so I made one for Avery.  Avery is in love with it and I'm pretty proud!  (I need a pic with her in it!)  I think I'll go get more of this fabric and make a small matching one for Ansley
& last of my accomplishments to boast about-
We went to a dessert bake off for Valentine's with some other students and their families.
Each family was to bring a dessert to enter into the bake off-
I picked to make one of my favs:  Key Lime Cake (a recipe I got from a Better Homes and Garden Magazine)  & Guess who took first prize?!?!  ME!!!!!!  I was in shock!
I wasn't even going to post about this but when I told my sister about it the first thing she said was, "are you serious, you mean you didn't burn it, and people liked it?!?"  In her words, "This needs to go down in the books Rachel! I'm so proud of you!"  HA HA  
At the moment I'm feeling like & telling myself I am a Domestic Goddess! *Sigh*
 Recipe For Key Lime Cake:
- 1 3oz package of lime-flavored gelatin
-1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
-2 cups sifted all purpose flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-5 large eggs slightly beaten
-1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
-3/4 cups orange juice
-1 Tbs lemon juice
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 cup key lime juice (squeezed from 4 large regular limes or 25 small key limes)
-1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Icing:
1 8 oz package cream cheese
16 oz confectioners sugar
1 stick unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour three (I did 2 and made mini cupcakes with the rest) 9 inch round cake pans.  In a large mixing bowl, mix gelatin, sugar, flour salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  Stir to mix well.  Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, and vanilla.  Divide the batter evenly among the 3 pans and bake for 35-40 minutes.  Test for doneness by lightly touching the tops of the layers or inserting a toothpick.  Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto racks.  While the layers are still hot, mix the lime juice and confectioners sugar and pour it over the layers on the racks.  You can pierce the layers with a fork to allow the glaze to soak in better. Allow the layers to cool completely as you prepare the icing.  Cream the butter and cream cheese.  Beat in the confectioners sugar until the mixture is smooth and easy to spread.  Spread the icing between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake.



& my Cuties making my deal of the month look BEAUTIFUL!
I got these two matching dresses for the girls for $6 each!!!
(Gotta love when Old Navy takes an extra 50% off their already reduced clearance prices!!!)


3 comments:

Rosanne Boyd said...

I am glad you put that recipe on here, I am going to have to try it! I am still so proud that you got first place!! way to go!! I love the skirt you made and I love the pink dresses!! Miss you :)

Unknown said...

I'm dang impressed with your domestic goddess skills! And that cake looks freaking awesome!

Robyn said...

That skirt looks awesome! I love the ruffle! And way to go on the cake...I think you are on your way to another round of being RS Pres!