Friday, November 19, 2010

Attitude Adjuster

I was thinking back to my childhood (which I tend to do a lot now as Avery gets older and is participating in and doing so many more things than I'm ready for her to) and I was remembering the paddle that hung in the kitchen with the bold blue letters that ran across it that said ATTITUDE ADJUSTER.  Just its presence was intimidating.  I think about those two words frequently because the older I get the more I realize just how much more my attitude still needs adjusting....  Although I had my fair share of attitude adjuster moments as a child, the experiences I have experienced this year have been the biggest ATTITUDE ADJUSTER for me!

I have been wanting to make a thankful post but really want it to be a little different because I feel our family has been blessed beyond what I could have ever asked for in the past 11 months!  So although I am thankful for my supportive family and friends, our home, every ward we have ever lived in, a working car, freedom, the gospel of Jesus Christ our Redeemer, good health, beauty in nature, etc I am going to make a "Not your Ordinary Thankful Post" of things that reflect my Attitude Adjustment... Here goes-

~I'm thankful for the Professors who assigned papers I was NOT thrilled about writing because it made me stretch beyond my comfort zone, become more informed, and understand new ideas from different perspectives.

~I'm thankful for the job around our old complex Joey was able to do to drastically reduce our rent although it came along with some pretty scary incidents including the dead man (overdose) he and the other maintenance man found. (that's for another post)

~I'm thankful that when I was sick during pregnancy with Ansley that it was always in the evening so I could get to school during the day and finish my last semester.

~I'm thankful for our old 550 sq. ft. apartment in Athens that so inexpensively got us through our last 2 years of school.

~I have never been so excited for wet diapers until this summer!  It means my baby has a fully functioning and healthy set of kidneys.

~I am thankful for Microbiology (wow never thought I'd say that) because it is the field Joey enjoys and an area for him to further his education.

~I am thankful to feel sore after a workout because it means I have a strong & healthy body that allows me to work out.

~I am thankful for the ways Avery tries my patience during the day because it helps keep me in constant communication with my Heavenly Father...
         -side note: I know I talk a lot about Avery and how she is difficult but she has lots of good moments and makes me smile multiple times a day.  especially when I get the random out of nowhere, "I love you mom"!  She's  a sweet girl:)  & man I see myself in her daily...

~I'm thankful for the sound of a baby crying even at 3am especially when the cry is in my house!  (it means the lungs are functioning and I have a baby alive and well WITH me)

~I'm thankful for spit-up (from Ansley) on a stretched out shirt (from Avery pulling on me) because it means I am fortunate to have children.

& last but not least

~I am thankful for the 4 1/2 years of wet towels on my bed ;) because it is evidence of my sweet husband who makes me feel like the luckiest girl in the world!   after 2 years of telling and showing him where to hang his towel after his shower, I quit getting on to him. Now it just makes me chuckle inside!

Happy early-Thanksgiving Family and Friends!!!!  
My heart is full of an infinite supply of thank-you's for your love and support especially this last year!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention how you would pretend it didn't hurt and it would make your dad so mad! And one of the things I love about you is no matter how mad you were at us for whatever dumb thing we did, you would always call to say "I love you" just in case something happened...didn't want to leave with a guilty conscience. You are amazing and I'm grateful for you!!

Lisa said...

Rachel, you probably have the best attitude of anyone I know. It's wonderful to know you.

Linds and Allen said...

I needed an attitude adjuster at my house several times in the last week (mostly for myself). Thanks for this post. Happy Thanksgiving.

MommaG said...

You know, sometimes it takes a life altering experience to help us appreciate the little things. Your perspective changes, considerably, doesn't it? Thanks for your post, Rachel! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your girls!

Amanda and Daniel McLain said...

You always have been a good influence on us ;). Thank you. Especially for baby noise. We love and miss you guys a lot. Hope you had a great holiday.