Monday, August 2, 2010

Thoughts Honesty & Gratitude

So a friend of mine made a blog post a couple weeks ago titled HONESTY and told of some happenings that took place in her home even though it wasn't the most happy and "picture perfect family" posting. I really liked the post because it was just little sibling disputes that are inevitable in every home but I loved how she told the story honestly because we all can relate.

I give you this precursor because this is going to be my honesty blog posting.

I'm sitting here awake at 2 am thinking back to 2 weeks ago when I was mentally preparing myself to be up with a baby every 3 hours. Instead I'm up every 3 hours with my yellow medela breast pump and hoping this milk will get to be used sooner rather than later. Ansley is still receiving all her nutrients through an IV and will not be able to use a feeding tube for at least another 5 days:( All the tests excluding the MRI (it will have to wait until she comes off one of the machines she's on) were ran today and we receive the results in the morning (maybe this is why I can't sleep). I'll have Joey post the results tomorrow. (or I mean later today)
I was also thinking back to the times I complained of pregnancy and the difficulty in that first month being home with a newborn baby. I think the Lord is teaching me some valuable lessons and I'll think before I do much more complaining. Here are some of the things I have been grateful for that I never imagined would mean so much before-
-the sound of a baby crying
- my baby's eyes being open
-wet diapers (I get to give Ansley a bath and change her diaper tomorrow & I'm so excited!!!)
(this is her favorite position, the nurses said they turned her over like this and she was just a snoozin'!)


Also, as much as I know that everything these past few days has happened for a reason and God has a plan I have allowed for thoughts like these:
-because of MY body's malfunction, my baby girl is hooked up to what seems like a million tubes and in the NICU
-if the baby would have come sooner maybe my placenta would not have tried to detach from the uterus
-was there something I did during pregnancy that made this malfunction happen?!

I know again the Lord is strengthening me and teaching me to substitute these negative thoughts with these:
-the staff at UAMS at the time I came into the hospital could not have been more fabulous and better prepared for the events that occurred.
- Arkansas Children's Hospital is the leading hospital in the country with the treatment and knowledge of the cooling cap (that Ansley needed)
- I am fortunate that I was at the hospital when my placenta detached from the uterus or I may not even have our little Ansley here right now.
- I am grateful I was given strength to prove I was able (walk and get around well after my cesarean) to be discharged from the hospital early to be with my family.

As much as I am trying to keep an optimistic attitude I thought I'd be honest and sort through some things while I am unable to sleep. Today was hard because I watched a premie come into the hospital last night and get stationed across from Ansley. The baby weighed 1.5 lbs. The mom came in today and as I saw her holding her baby tears just started falling down my face. I was not envious of this mother, but I thought-- this baby just came in last night and mine has been in here 6 days and I still can't hold her! I was glad the mom was able to hold her baby, I don't wish this on anyone. I just longed to hold Ansley like she got to hold hers. As I was watching this I had little Ansley's fingers around my index finger and she gave it a little squeeze. It was small and simple but helped me snap out of it and I know I will eventually get to hold her I just need to be patient.
I think this is my favorite picture EVER! My 3 FAVORITES!!! I love them!

In times like these I had a relief society president in my BYU ward advise us to focus on all the things we are be grateful for. I don't think I've ever felt so grateful in my life as I have these last 6 days. (Isn't funny how our feelings can range so completely opposite on the spectrum when events like these happen?!) I will never be able to fully show how grateful I am for the love and support me and my family have received. I have felt your love and continue to because of your prayers! I'll make a list so I can visually see how blessed I am and how much our Heavenly Father cares for us and sends his earthly angels to us in times of need:
1. This last Sunday I received emails that 5 different wards (including
our new one here that has taken us in so quickly with open arms)
included us in their fasts.
2. Comments, Emails, Phone Calls and texts from family and friends
expressing love and concern. They always come at the best times!
3. Messages I have received from people I do not even know but took
time to share a similar experience and that they care and are praying
4. Help with Avery so Joey and I are able to go to the hospital to meet
with doctors.
5. Family (near and far) that have come to help!!!
6. The yummy Dinners that have been brought by (not a day has gone
by that a dinner has not been brought in)
7. Gifts that have shown up at the hospital from family, friends and
anonymous givers (if you were one of the "unknown gift givers"
thank-you) I went down to the gift shop to see if a mistake was made
and they left off the from, the lady said it was meant to be unknown
so thank you... I feel bad not making a thank you card for it.
8. Packages and cards that have been sent in the mail.
9. People who have called or emailed to tell us they put Ansley's name on the temple prayer roll.
10. Caring and Trained Nurses and Doctors
11. Joey (I couldn't ask for a better husband, he is the BEST) and Avery (I am probably driving Avery nuts with all the hugs and kisses I constantly want to give her)
12. Visitors and many many more things I am sure I have left out

Every bit of it has made us smile and been a comfort! I am so so GRATEFUL for EVERYTHING and thank you, thank you, thank you to ALL! I think now I'll sleep better...

21 comments:

Debbie said...

I think about your family every day. Thank you for keeping us updated on Ansley's progress. I love the picture of Avery looking at her. I miss her in nursery. What angel babies you have!

koutroulakisfamily said...

I love the new pictures. THe pictures are AmAaazing (using my best Joey voice. Avery looks all grown up and very concerned and loving. I miss her so much.

I miss you guys so much and grateful to have you in my life.

Anonymous said...

Well, Rachel, I couldn't keep dry eyes after this posting... What a test for you all and what a beautiful attitude.

MommaG said...

Dearest Rachel,
My heart has not been far from this past 6 days, and I hope you feel our love from so far away. It is difficult to be upbeat and happy when life has thrown you a huge curve ball, when plans and expectations change on a dime, BUT I promise that the Lord is mindful of you. Once when I prayed in agony about my struggles, I felt/heard the Lord tell me that He couldn't not remove my test, but that He would carry me through it. I suspect that's what you are feeling. We cannot remove this test, either, but we (your friends & family) will do everything we can to carry your little family through this trial of your faith.

I found that reading the scriptures and making my topic of study "miracles & faith" was helpful. It gave me food for thought & helped me to know that the Lord is mightier than all.

Now, you MUST take care of yourself so that when little Ansley comes home you will be ready for those long nights of rocking and snuggling. :) I love you and miss you so much. Did I tell you what a beautiful baby she is?

Molly said...

Rach - you are a trooper and encourage the rest of us with your faith. Thank you!! Hang in there - everything seems like it's going to work out!! Avery is SOOO cute looking and ready to care for her little sister!

Betty Graham said...

Rachel/ Joey, I know you do not know so I will tell you..We went thru this with Gary`s youngest brother, Chris only we had already come home from hospital and he was about 4 days old and we had to rush him back to hospital..So many days and nights spent watching him in his little incubator, then finally getting to hold him and rock him in the hospital nursery..needles were stuck in his tiny little head to draw fluid , trying to find his problem..I tell you all this as proof that baby Ansley will get better..Our Chris is our proff..Love you guys, Gran Ma

Mary Mitchell said...

We're thinking about you and praying for you guys daily. Thanks so much for this sweet post, makes me more grateful for what I've been given. I can't wait for you to hold that sweet baby girl! Hang in there.

Unknown said...

I didn't think you could make me cry more - but each blog post just makes me cry more! If you ever need someone to just cry to or to make you feel better cause I say the dumbest things - You can always call me...Heck I'm probably up the same time at night that you are! LOL

I can't wait for you to hold Ansley either!!! And I love the picture with Avery and Joey!

The Hacketts said...

Well Rachel, I just finished reading this and I have to be honest, I was in tears throughout the whole blog. I just cannot get this out of my head. I think about you all 24-7(literally) and I just hate that you are all going through this. But just know that God never gives us more than we can handle. He gives us obstacles to see just how strong we are, and you & Joey are doing a great job at staying strong throughout this whole process.

In times like this we all think about what we could have done differently or we tend to blame ourselves for the unfortunate circumstances that have occurred, but it's not what we did or didn't do. It's just God's way of teaching us about Life and it's values. We love you and we miss you VERY VERY much! We wish we could be there but instead, we will continue to pray and think about you all and just keep you close to our hearts. Your friendship means so much to us and we are very thankful that we have you & Joey as friends. Hang in there guys & give those 2 beautiful girls a Hig and Kiss from us. xoxo

The Hacketts said...

*A Hug & A Kiss* :)

Katy said...

Rachel...I love your honesty in this post. I could tell you not to be down on yourself, but I believe it's all part of the process. I can sense your amazing strength in your words. And your love for Ansley is so pure. You are in our prayers and we are VERY hopeful for Ansley's recovery! love ya!

Amanda and Daniel McLain said...

Rachel, I am going to have my moment of honesty with you. I don't think I have ever told you how much I look up to you and respect you. I have seen you grow in your spiritual strength from the first time we 'skipped' RS to hang out until now. ;-) I wish you could see it from my perspective because you truly are amazing. You have a wonderful family, Joey and Avery, to support you in every way (even your extended family is awesome!!!) You are one of the strongest women I know (and there are some very strong women on that list!)

Thank YOU for so freely sharing your thoughts and feelings at this time. It has strengthened me in ways you may never know. I know you are touching other people's lives too with your strength, faith, and positive outlook. I feel honored and blessed to call your family our friends.

It goes without saying, Daniel and I will continue to pray for your sweet family. We miss you terribly and love you all lots!

Gary said...

Hi family. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. We Love you guys.

Rachel, you did nothing wrong.
Stay Strong

Read this quote from Pres. Monson.

"I testify to you that our promised blessings are beyond measure. Though the storm clouds may gather, though the rains may pour down upon us, our knowledge of the gospel and our love of our Heavenly Father and of our Savior will comfort and sustain us and bring joy to our hearts as we walk uprightly and keep the commandments. There will be nothing in this world that can defeat us."

--Thomas S. Monson, "Be of Good Cheer", Ensign, May 2009, 89–92

Cat and Blake Potter said...

What a beautiful post, can't tell you're tired at all :) Thank you for posting your feelings because so many of us are learning from you right now, and your strength is giving strength to others, without you even knowing it. Keep it up and it's ok to cry. I cannot wait for you to hold your little angel soon.

the fowlers said...

Look at her hair! More hair than Ellie has! Oh, she's just so beautiful. I can't wait for you to hold her, either. I'm waiting every day to see a picture of the whole family cuddling - I'm sure it will make me bawl!
Love you!

Unknown said...

I'm in your ward as of two weeks ago, and just met you the Sunday before Ansley was born. Anyway, just want you to know I'm teaching your primary class til you feel up to it-they were so sweet and wanting to know how you and the baby were. If someone falls through on dinner just let me know!
I'm sososo sorry you are going through this btw. Years ago, Children's was a miracle for our family. We'll talk sometime.

Penny said...

I get tears reading how strong you are and how you are able to look at all the positive aspects. You are an example to all of us. I wish I could be there with you and give you a big hug!! I think about you daily and am always looking at your blog for any new info. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. I love you!

Julie said...

I appreicate your honesty and gratitude. I know your pain first hand and I think that overwhelming fear of the unknown is one reason I don't want to be pregnant again. I can flip that around and say I know the wonderful feelings of love and joy after having to wait 8 days to hold your baby.

Continue to take care of yourself! Hugs and Kisses!

Unknown said...

Oh how I love you Rachel! What a beautiful post. Its so good to take the time to write about both - those honest feelings of the heart - how you feel and ache and hurt and also how you can see the blessings at the same time. You and Joey are amazing. Your strength is inspiring. I'm so glad I got to spend a little bit of time with y'all. I love the new picture of Joey and the girls. Remember I'm just a phone call or text away if you need to chat.... anytime.
love you!!!

Linds and Allen said...

Oh I love all of that dark hair. She's so precious with her little butt up in the air like that. Praying for good news from the tests earlier this week. Thinking of you guys often.

The Wallentines said...

Rachel-
I love this post. You KNOW that we love ya'll SO much but I'm gonna tell you anyway. We love you, Joey, Avery and beautiful little Ansley! I cannot imagine going through all that you have been through so far and the journey that you lies ahead but you are handeling it with such grace. I love to read about the progress that Ansley is making and the progress that your family is making as you draw nearer to one another and depend on the love of one another and the Lord- not to mention the love of good friends :) I cannot wait for you to finally hold your precious little Ansley in your arms and look into her sweet eyes and kiss her! I know that it will be an amazing moment that will always be close to your heart. I wish I could be there to see the love in your eyes as you hold her. I know that you are SO strong and you will get through this and it's so good that you know that you aren't going through it alone. We love you and can't wait to visit with you soon! Just let us know when and we will be there! Even if you were on the other side of the world- You will NEVER be to far of a drive for us!