Thursday, July 8, 2010

"Wanna-Be"


I am such a "wanna-be" when it comes to sewing. I always see friends and family create such beautiful things from sewing and I'm completely addicted to browsing ETSY looking at all the beautiful handmade things. Joey got me a sewing machine this past Christmas and I have been so excited to use it, although I'm a complete amateur. Lucky for me there are so many online tutorials for sewing different things that I have been able to teach myself. This is what consumes my time during Avery's naps, well and reading.

When I had Avery, my Young Women back in Athens surprised me with this beautiful rag quilt and I love it! Its such a good size for newborns and perfect for letting them crawl on when on the floor. This is very basic and to get more acquainted with my sewing machine I've made a few myself.
This baseball one was my first one for a friend of mine and I underestimated on the fabric:( When I went back to Hobby Lobby in Athens they were out of the printed material. My friend was nice and still loved it but I wished I could have added another row or two. All in all I was pleased with it for being my first one!

This one is probably my favorite! My friend just had her baby girl and I made this for her right before we left Athens. I tried over and over to tell her that pink is a MUST when you have a girl... I ended up loving purple and lime green together by the time I finished this.

I made this one for a new friend here in Little Rock and I was so surprised at how fast I finished it! I made it in a day; Practice does pay off:)

This one I finished for my sister's new baby and I am embarrassed it is not in the mail yet!

My new nephew Jordan William Boyd!!! He is so angelic in this pic; I already LOVE him!!!

& my most recent attempt that is leaving me frustrated!!!!!!!!... Minky fabric was on sale at JoAnn's and I had to have it! I have been wanting to try one of these blankets but am intimidated by this stretchy, slick fabric. I decided to give it a try and make it for the baby on the way. {that way I'd be less stressed if it didn't turn out right b/c its for me} I followed an online tutorial and went slowly but the lines are very crooked and the binding was hard for me. Here is how it turned out

I definitely need more practice at these before I try to make one as a gift! I'm thinking that pillowcase dresses will be my next project... maybe I'll come back to this in a few months!

Baby Update: NOT DILATED at all but my cervix is softening. I'll be 38 weeks on Monday and that's when I had Avery... I don't see that happening but that's ok! They're easier to take care of "in the oven!" My next dr. appointment is next Wed. The weather here has been cooler (upper 80s) so I won't complain:) As far as material things go, we are definitely ready for the baby to come. I pulled out all the baby stuff and washed it. Avery keeps telling me that baby Ansley needs to share her stuff with her!

I keep telling her she already had her turn with this stuff:) My dr. here has been Fabulous and let Avery move the dopplar around on my tummy to hear the heartbeat. Ever since Avery has told us daily, "I am so excited for Baby Ansley to get here!" We shall see...

6 comments:

The Hacketts said...

I think the blankets look great. You are doing good and Practice makes perfect!!!

Unknown said...

Those blankets are so cute! I am so jealous- I wish I could sew! And Avery will be the cutest big sister! I can't wait for Ansley to come either!! Hopefully you get lucky and have your water break again! LOL And I am going with July 19th - 7 lbs 1 oz...20 inches long -

the fowlers said...

they are perfect for crawling babies. yours are so cute! i like the lime and purple, too.
i can't wait to see ansley, either, but i do agree that it is easier to take care of her inside. hope avery is letting you take lots of naps (is the pool helping wear her out?).

p.s. - everyone is moving away from athens! we are getting to be the seasoned ward members nowadays. weird!

Robyn@Something Pretty said...

Those blankets turned out great! Did you embroider the name on the purple and green one? I think I need a new machine now that has more than 3 stitch settings!

Penny said...

38 weeks?!! WOW I didn't know it was so soon!! Good luck with everything! I love the blankets. Grandma will be proud.

Cat and Blake Potter said...

Great post, and GREAT blankets!! Wow, I am also a major wannabe, but have not been practicing to become good yet. Good for you! And only 2 weeks, thats awesome!!!