Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Success X 2!


Firstly, I have had many friends and family express concerns and ask if Joey is doing alright after viewing the last few posts of Joey in pics with no eyebrows and eyelashes. The answer is Yes he is fine, I haven't been hoarding all the food :), he didn't pull it out because he is stressed and my fav.... no he didn't lose a bet:) He has alopecia aereota (an auto immune disease which results in loss of hair). It moves around and the most recent spot it has hit is his eyebrows. There is no cure for it they just say to live a healthy lifestyle and it should help. [We think it got so bad that last semester of school because of how stressed and crazy things were, sleep deprivation and we ate out almost every night of the week :/ ]

Now that I have a bit more time I have been making a conscious effort to get up and make a hot breakfast at least 4 days a week and have been experimenting with different recipes. I AM PROUD TO SAY: WE HARDLY EAT OUT ANYMORE!!! & I am loving being in the kitchen! A few nights ago I made blackened salmon with Quinoa vegetable salad (a recipe I took from a friends blog... http://maresfoodandfun.blogspot.com/) and Joey told me it was one of his favorite meals:) I was so excited, especially because when he first looked at the Quinoa dish he was not excited and because Quinoa is a healthy food which contains more protein than any other grain.

The second dish I made was sweet potato/black bean & chicken quesadillas. I found this recipe on a different blog http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/ and we loved it!!! + it was different than the traditional quesadillas that contain lots of cheese and butter and much healthier :)

So while Joey is off in school working in his research lab little does he know I am doing some experimenting of my own.... I'll find a new recipe (a healthy one), make it (trying to disguise its healthiness) and if the family likes it I'll keep making it. We'll see if this has been a contributing factor and if it will eventually help with his alopecia!!! Oh & Did I mention how excited I am that Little Rock has a Farmers Market!!!!

4 comments:

Penny said...

I'm going to try some of the recipes. I love trying new stuff! Sorry to hear about the disease!! I'm sure your good cooking will help.

Unknown said...

What a good little wife you are!! Hot breakfasts do sure get the day off good and wow you are doing some serious cooking in the evenings!! that is awesome. hope y'all are doing well and that you are feeling good. love you girl!

Amanda and Daniel McLain said...

Is this the same Joey we are talking about??? The one who only eats corndogs?!?! I'm impressed :-) That's awesome that you are enjoying cooking and experimenting!

The Hacketts said...

Well I guess it is true, people can change. Glad to hear Joey is eating healthier. Everyone should start a healthy life style. Eating out can get expensive and it's not healthy at all. I may have to snag some of those recipes from those websites :) I LOVE trying new things and making new things. Every day I am online getting new recipes or searching through all my cook books. I LOVE IT!!