Sunday, April 26, 2009

CoUdAwGaToRs!

This past weekend a bunch of people from our Ward got together and ran the Chicken Mania Marathon relay. Each member ran a 4.3 mile leg on a VERY hilly course! If you are wondering where Joey is, he was back in Athens with the other half of our ward playing in a softball game. Come to find out Joey hit a home run over the center field fence and I was sad I wasn't there to see it.

We left for Gainesville early in the morning for the race and afterwards they had a chicken- cook-off. It was so much fun & I hit a personal record with a time of 39:15! (I know its not amazing but a year ago my goals were just to complete a 5K without walking so this is major improvement) The name Cou-dawg-gators comes from the fact that on each team there were Alumni or current students from BYU, UGA, & Florida. Trust me we were not thrilled to have Gators as part of our team name but for the Westfalls we were willing to make an exception:)
Coming around the last corner and up the hill to the finish line!
Here is our girls team that finished 1st place in the Women's division with a time around 3 hours and 40 min. left to right: Amber Westfall, Tenille Bowser, me, Hannah McClain, Emily Robertson, & Alyson Haslam (who got lost and added about half a mile to the course and still finished with an amazing time) The men's team did awesome as well and placed 2nd in their division (they had a lot more competition)!

My little Avery was such a good sport!
She's not used to getting up at 6am and by 10 she was knocked out on the lawn with loud music playing and people running around everwhere cheering on their team mates.
& Who knows how much they paid this guy to dress up in this Chicken Suit with tights while it was 85 degrees outside?! Avery loved it though and anytime he'd walk by she would point and say, "chicken, bawk, bawk."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats!! And 39 minutes is amazing time for 4 miles!! You are my hero!!! You look really good!! And Avery looks so tall laying spawled out like that!

Robyn said...

So that old man in front of you totally cut that last corner! I hope you passed him. I need to get as pumped about running as you...and get my butt in shape!

Tenille said...

You did so good Rachel!!! You must have a really good running partner ;D

Charis said...

You girls (and boys) are awesome! Congrats on first place - so impressive. Cutest group of running moms!!!

Amanda and Daniel McLain said...

Great job! You'll be catching Hannah in no time ;-) And that picture of Avery sleeping is HILARIOUS :-) That made my day!

Unknown said...

you go girl :) that is so awesome. I'm pretty sure I can't even walk that far much less running under 10 minute miles. You are amazing.