Monday, November 23, 2009

13.1

**This may be a little lengthy (but it is fun for me to reflect on everything that got me to this point!) So back in March a group of us from our stake got together and trained for a marathon relay. At this point running more than the 4.3 miles had never crossed my mind and I was content until... Tenille became my full time running partner/one of my most fav friends ever and as we ran more, she'd casually mention she'd like to add a mile to our route. Eventually we were running 10 miles. We would begin our runs at 5:30am to beat the GA summer heat, and 4-6 mile runs, we referred to as "short runs!" Never in my life did I think I could ever run that far without walking! Unfortunately, Tenille and her family moved to Delaware in June, but before she moved I promised we would do a 13.1 mile run. We did it but it took me 2 hours and 25 min. (Tenille just finished running the Baltimore Marathon with an AMAZING time & she is pretty much my hero!) I thought that I might slack off after she moved, but after 4 months of a consistent running schedule, I am addicted to running and in July I signed up for the Silver Comet half marathon 10/31/09. A group of us began training. Because of my school schedule I was only able to do 3 days a week but my running schedule looked like this, Tues: 4 mile run Thurs: 6-8 mile run and Sat: 10-12 mile run. So if you don't already run or like to, this is why you should... Its a great way to start the day, you have more energy, its healthy, and it helps and carries over into other aspects of life. For example, whenever I am thinking I can't fill up 2 more pages of a 10 page paper assignment I think, you can run 10 miles and at mile 8 you're so close to finishing, just tough it out and finish strong! Running is such a mental game, so if you can beat it, you can beat so many of life's obstacles!!! Enough of that, here is SILVER COMET RACE DAY!!!
My racing buddies and running partners. Emily (in the blue jeans) she trained with us and was my main running partner until she got a stress fracture in her foot 4 weeks before the race:( She gave her spot to her husband and came to cheer us on!
Here we are anxiously anticipating the start
It rained (downpour)on us the first 2-3 miles, but the rest was just a light mist which was perfect for the remainder of the race. I had been reading lots of runners blogs before the race trying to find the best source of energy snack to use during the race. Unfortunately, most people said to use the GU gels (which I had previously tried and made me want to vomit), so I went to buy some Cliff Shot Blocks instead. While I was there a worker was putting out these new GU chomps, (which are the same consistency as the shot blocks but provide the same energy of the GU packs). I used these and loved them!
Here comes Amie and I heading down the home stretch! So remember back when I first ran 13.1 miles and it took me 2 hours and 25 min. I was shooting for a goal time of 2:11 (averaging a 10 min. mile) Well, I looked at the clock and it read 2:04. I started to tear up (partly because I could not believe it and partly a fulfilling feeling to see the finish of something you've worked so hard for), but it made it hard to breathe. I choked back the tears as I saw Avery and Joey and gave all I had left to sprint to the finish line with a time of 2 hours 5 minutes and 24 seconds!!!
My in-laws were so sweet they were holding this sign for me at the finish line and cheering me on with Avery and Joey! The sign was in pink and green which ironically matched us so we got a picture!
My biggest fans:) Joey was such a trooper and so supportive of all the time (Sat. mornings) I put into this. He stood in the rain from start to finish of my race having to hold Avery the whole time because I thought her shoes were in the car and they weren't:( I love them so much!

6 comments:

Robyn said...

That is awesome chica! And it is just one more reason joey needs to come to CU-Denver...so you can get my lazy butt off the couch and running with you!

Tenille said...

Awwwwww...totally had my eyes watering with this post. I miss you SO much!!! I am so incredibly proud of you, you did AMAZING!!!

Unknown said...

You're awesome Rachel! I too never thought I would consider 5-6 miles a short run. I also never thought I would be able to run 13.1 miles without walking. Such a great accomplishment. Unfortanetly my husband and girls couldn't be at the finish line but my mom and sisters were and I thought I was going to start bawling. Such a great feeling to cross the finish line. Your time was awesome, good job! :)

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you - my eyes got all misty reading it (must be those pregnancy hormones or something) - I am so proud of you and when you guys come out here (cause I know you will!!) you can find a way to motivate me to run at 5:30 in the morning! Love you cuz and I am in awe of you - you are my hero!

Jared and Katy said...

Way to go...you are so awesome...very inspirational!

Charis said...

I have to agree with Kay - AWESOME AND VERY INSPIRATIONAL! Not to mention amazing TIME. You got some great pictures to remember the day by!